Matar Paneer or Mutter Paneer Recipe is a North Indian delicacy made in an amazingly delicious creamy, slightly tangy and rich onion-tomato gravy with fresh cottage-cheese/paneer and green peas. It goes really well with rotis and naan. This recipe is an easy and quick one with not much steps but tastes really amazing.
Matar Paneer is one of the most commonly made paneer recipe in India. This is my version of a homemade quick matar panner recipe. I usually prepare it whenever there is a special occasion but not much time to spend for cooking. Im sure you’ll love it. For some extra flavour you can add a tsp of tomato ketchup at the end while adding paneer. This makes the gravy even more thick and gives a nice sweet and tangy taste. You can also fry the paneer and use. For this just take a little oil in a nonstick pan add the paneer pieces. Keep turning it till all the sides of the paneer are slightly golden in color, then remove onto a kitchen napkin to remove the excess oil. Do not over cook the paneer or it may become rubbery and hard.
- 250 gms paneer cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup of blanched peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander/dhaniya powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric/haldi powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin/jeera powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp fresh cream (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
- pinch of roasted cumin seeds powder for garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee (preferably ghee)
- 1 big onion
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 2 green Cardamom
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 5-6 cloves
- 1 big black cardamom/ badi elaichi
- 2 tbsp curd
- 10-12 cashews (optional)
- Grind together all the ingredients under “Masala paste” without adding water into a smooth paste.
- Now heat a pan and add oil/ghee. When the oil is hot add the bay leaf and the masala paste. On medium heat stirring occasionally let the masala cook. Once the raw smell disappears and oil starts to separate add in red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric. Mix well and saute this for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add some water( approximately 1 cup or as needed. You can add more or less as per your preference). Bring it to a boil then add the boiled green peas and salt and cook it for a minute or two.
- Add the paneer cubes, fresh cream, garam masala powder and stir and let it cook for just a minute.
- Garnish the hot matar paneer with freshly chopped coriander leaves and roasted jeera/cumin powder and serve hot with roti, naan or rice.