A simple vegetable hakka noodle recipe, great for a dinner or to satiate your evening hunger. Hakka noodle often known as chowmein in India, is a street food favorite here and a menu favourite in Indian restaurants.
But often the ones we eat in a restaurant or street tastes very different and better from the one that we make at home. One crucial thing while preparing vegetable hakka noodle that matters is the temperature of the wok or kadhai you are preparing the noodles in. Always remember to keep the flame on high through out the cooking, do not change the heat. Also try to always prepare the noodles in a large wok so that there is enough space for the noodles to move, else they tend to stick with each other and become mushy. I do not put ajinomoto(MSG) in my recipes but if you prefer you can add a pinch of it while adding salt.
- 150 gms noodles
- 1 cup veggies(cabbage, french beans, carrots, capsicum) cut into thin slices (julienne)
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp fresh garlic paste
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp oil(preferably sesame oil)
- Salt to taste
- 10 cups of water for cooking the noodles
Cooking the noodles
- Boil 10 cups of water in a pan. Add 1 tsp salt to the boiling water. Then add the noodles.
- Stir occasionally and cook al-dente (cook till 80% done). Do not overcook.
- Then drain the hot water. Now rinse and drain the noodles in cold water to stop the cooking process of the noodles.
- Spread the noodles on a wide plate. Put 1/2 tsp oil and mix the noodles well to avoid it from sticking to each other.
Preparing the hakka noodles
- Heat a wok and add to it the remaining oil. When the oil is hot put the sliced onions and saute it for 2 minutes till it starts changing colour. Now add the garlic paste and saute for a minute. Remember to keep the flame on high throughout the cooking.
- Now add the sliced vegetables one by one and cook it for 2-3 mins while stirring continuously. Do not over cook the vegetables, it should be slightly crunchy. Now add salt and pepper powder and mix everything well..
- To this add the noodles, both the sauces and vinegar. Toss everything well for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve the noodles immediately with some hot manchurian.