Whole Wheat Marble cake is a delicious combination of vanilla and chocolate cake in one and goes perfectly with a cup of tea. This is a classic chocolate and vanilla marble cake recipe made with whole wheat flour. The cake tastes best when consumed warm as it is made with whole wheat flour and it might tend to lose its texture when cold. So before you consume just pop the cake into a microwave for a minute or a preheated oven for 5 mins at 180°C.
Whole Wheat Marble cake can also be prepared with oil, just substitute the butter with 1/2 cup oil (any refined oil without a strong smell). Also to make the cake more rich substitute the cocoa powder with melted dark chocolate. The recipe asks to sieve the flour for 2-3 times, this is a crucial step as it uses whole wheat flour and sieving the flour several times makes it light. So lets start baking!!!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 100 gms butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp warm milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven at 180°C for 10 mins. And grease a cake pan with butter and keep aside.
- Mix together the wheat flour, baking powder, salt and sieve it 2 to 3 times.
- Now separate the egg whites and yolk. Beat the egg whites till it forms stiff peaks.
- In a clean bowl take butter and sugar and beat until smooth (to know when done beating: color should change to off white).
- Add the vanilla essence and egg yolks 1 at a time while whisking and beat well.
- Now add the flour in small batches and fold together(cut and fold method).
- Take a clean bowl and pour half of the vanilla batter into it.
- To make the chocolate batter : Mix cocoa powder with 3 tbsp warm milk. Pour this mixture into one bowl with batter and mix well.
- Take the vanilla batter and add 3 tbsp milk and mix well. Add more milk if its too thick.
- Take the greased cake pan and pour in half of the vanilla batter and spread it evenly. Then add the chocolate batter, followed by the remaining vanilla cake batter. Now swirl a knife once through the batter to create an ‘S’ shape 2-3 times. Do not over mix.
- Place the cake pan in the preheated oven and bake for 40 mins at 180°C.
- Bake till a toothpick inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely and serve or transfer the cake into an air tight container and consume within 2-3 days.
This marble cake can also be prepared with oil, just substitute the butter with 1/2 cup oil (any refined oil without a strong smell)