Looking for how to make a delicious chicken curry at home? Here is an awesome chicken masala recipe made in a rich and flavorful gravy. This Indian style Chicken Masala recipe is made with freshly ground whole spices without using any ready made store bought chicken masala powder. Using freshly ground masala is what enhances the flavor of the whole dish. Serve this dish with phulkas, puri or rice along with fresh salad and raita.
We start by marinating the chicken in curd or yogurt, this is done to tenderize the chicken. Tenderizing prevents the chicken from loosing its moisture while cooking and keeps the chicken succulent. Here I have used skinless medium cut chicken.
Lets dig into the complete recipe below.
- 500 grams chicken (medium cut)½ cup curd2 onions sliced2 tomatoes sliced5-6 cashew3 cloves3 green cardamom1 inch cinnamon stick6-7 black pepper corns10-12 garlic cloves (small)1 tbsp chopped ginger2 green chilli½ cup coriander leaves1 tsp lemon juice1 tsp turmeric powder1 tbsp coriander powder½ tsp red chilli powder1 tsp crushed kasuri methi½ tsp garam masala powder2 tbsp oil/gheesalt as per taste
- Marinate the chicken in curd/yogurt for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the masala: Grind together ginger, garlic, green chilli, pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander leaves and a pinch of salt into a smooth paste without adding water. Add 1 tsp water if required.
- Tomato Onion Paste: In a wok or kadhai take 1 tbsp oil and add the chopped onions fry this till raw smell goes and it turns translucent, then add in the tomatoes and cashew nuts. Sauté this for 2 -3 min till the tomatoes are cooked. Remove from pan and cool properly. Then grind it into a smooth paste.
- Heat the same wok/kadhai and add 1 tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot add the masala paste and sauté continuously for 2 mins till the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone. Then add the onion and tomato paste and cook this for 2-3 mins stirring occasionally.
- Now add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chilli powder and sauté for a minute. Then add the marinated chicken and cook the chicken in the masala for 5-10 mins.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt and cook till the chicken is cooked. Add more water if required according to your preference.
- Then add the crushed kasuri methi, lemon juice, garam masala powder and freshly chopped coriander leaves. Mix everything well and cook for 2 mins and serve hot.