A delicious chicken meatball spaghetti recipe in a tangy tomato sauce with flavorsome and juicy chicken meatballs you will definitely love. A wholesome dinner for the family.
You can also have the meatballs as a snack with or without the sauce. You can increase the spice level by adding some paprika or red chilli powder.
There are 3 ways you can cook your meatballs.
- Baked in an oven
- Oil fried
- Cook directly in the tomato pasta sauce
To blanch and puree the tomatoes for the sauce:Take a pan with water and bring to boil. Put the tomatoes and remove the pan from stove and cover with a lid. After 2 minutes remove lid, the tomato skins would have torn, this indicates the tomatoes are blanched well. Now peel off the skin and in a food processor or grinder and without adding water make into a smooth puree.
- 250 gms spaghetti
- For meat balls :
- 250 gms minced chicken or meat of your choice
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley or coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt or as needed
- For the Gravy :
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5-6 large tomatoes blanched and pureed (check notes above)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 capsicum/bell pepper chopped
- Few basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried and crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup (optional but preferable)
- Combine together all the ingredients under “meatball” and mix well. Make small balls from the mixture and keep aside.
- There are 3 ways you can cook your meatballs.
- Roast in oven
- Place the meatballs slightly apart on a baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F(175 degree C) and cook the meatballs for 30 to 35 mins.
- Fry in oil
- Take a pan and heat 1 cup oil. when the oil is hot fry the meatballs in batches and keep on an oil absorbent paper.
- Cook in sauce
- Check point 6 below.
For the Sauce and Spaghetti:
- Cook the spaghetti in water with a pinch of salt. Do not over cook the spaghetti, keep it al dente. Drain and keep aside.
- Now take a wok or kadai. Add some oil and when its hot put garlic and onions. Saute it for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then add the chopped capsicum saute it for another 2 – 3 mins.
- Now add the pureed tomatoes, some ground black pepper and salt. Cook this well for around 2 mins.
- Add the meatballs and some dried and crushed oregano, chopped basil and mix well and let this cook for 3-4 mins.
- If the meatballs are not roasted or fried then cook it for approximately 15 mins or till the meatballs are perfectly cooked. If the sauce gets too dry then add in some water to get the desired consistency.
- You can either put the spaghetti into the meatball gravy now and mix it well and serve or you can place the spaghetti on a serving plate and top it up with the meatballs gravy.
- Garnish it with some grated Parmesan cheese and basil leaves.