Mushroom Masala recipe – It is a onion tomato puree based spicy Indian curry. And it goes very well with chapati, phulkas and poori. It is an easy recipe and all the ingredients used are easily available in every Indian kitchen.
Mushroom Masala recipe requires tomato paste/puree and you can check how to make it in the video.
Do try the recipe and leave us your feedback in the comment section below. Also subscribe to our new YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCywg-zdUrua_X71vD2dIagg and remain updated of all our upcoming recipes.
- Adjust the level of chilli according your personal preference.
- Grind the onions and masala paste very smooth. Else it will change the texture of the gravy.
- If the mushroom masala gravy becomes too spicy or hot add a tablespoon of beaten curd and cook for a minute.
- Add less amount of oil if you are using a non stick pan.
- 200 gms mushrooms
- 1 cup onion
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chilli
- 2 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tomatoes or 1/2 cup tomatoes
- 2 tbsp coriander/dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp oil. When the oil is hot add the sliced mushrooms and sauté.
- After 2-3 mins of sauteing you will see mushroom releasing out water. Keep cooking the mushrooms while stirring occasionally till the water completely evaporates. You will observe the colour of the mushrooms turn to brown.
- Sauté for a minute then remove the mushrooms into a bowl and keep aside.
- Grind together the cut onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom with a pinch of salt, into a smooth paste. You can grind it in an electric grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tbsp oil or butter. When the oil is hot add the ground onion paste and sauté till oil starts to separate and the raw smell of the onions and garlic are gone.
- Then add in the tomato puree/paste. Cook for 3-4 mins while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder and sauté for a minute.
- Add 1 cup water and mix well, cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add salt as per your taste and ½ cup water or as required. Mix well and bring to a boil. Then add in the mushrooms and 1 tsp kasuri methi and cook for a minute.
- Then add fresh cream and garam masala. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve with chapati or rice and enjoy.